12.29.2006

Quiet or Dead?

I'm a city girl. I mean, I’m no Carrie Bradshaw. But, I was as Carrie as I could be in a medium sized, Midwestern city. St. Louis has outstanding live theatre, traffic jams, fine dining, professional sports, a wide variety of live music, and is always in the running for America's most dangerous city. And for the past 5 years I’ve gobbled up every bit of what it has to offer. I loved the noise, the stress, the hurried life style, and the options.

So, finding myself in Cleveland, Tennessee (population 37,000) has been kinda jarring to my system. It's just so quiet. It's so peaceful and serene surrounded by mountains. It doesn't seem like anyone is in a hurry. And did I mention how quiet it is? I can't sleep at night. We turn off the lights and there's dead silence.

Honestly, I heard a siren last night when we were lying in bed and it relaxed me. It was the first good night of sleep I’ve had since we came here.

No comments: