5.04.2010

A "Balleter"

I applied for a job last week.

The whole thing got me thinking AGAIN about what I want to be when I grow up. At 34 29 shouldn’t I have this figured out? Truth is I'm just getting comfortable with WHO I want to be, but WHAT I want to be… I mean that’s a whole other question. It’s something I’ve been wrestling with for years. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve found LOTS of answers. But not one of them has really stuck long term.

So, I’ve decided to enlist a little bit of help.

I believe it was George Carlin who explained why adults are always asking little kids what they want to be when they grow up. Carlin suggested, “It’s because they’re looking for IDEAS!” And you know that is totally brilliant. Who better then little ones to go to for advice? They aren’t tainted by the practical aspects of “making a living”. They can still dream BIG. They don’t let past failures or set-backs determine what their future holds. And most importantly, they haven't learned to settle.

With that in mind, I found some old video footage (I was playing with my new toy at Christmas which explains the tree in the background of the shot) and decided to put a little something together. My hope is that this will be the FIRST in a series. (Friends with children, can I borrow them for a minute???) I'm hoping this might help me answer the question I’ve been trying to answer for-ev-ah. Or at the very least it might give me some fresh ideas. If it doesn’t (because, quite frankly, I'm starting to wonder if there really is ONE answer to this question for me…) at least I’ll have some fun doing the research.

May I introduce Claire:



Take away Lessons:

Start Early. Claire is four and she’s already got her eye on the prize. Turn your Weaknesses into your Strengths. Claire noted at the beginning of the video that pointing and kicking was something she wasn’t “good at.” However, when asked what her favorite thing to do in class is, she said it was "pointing." She’s obviously not letting her weakness stop her; in fact it’s her “favorite” part of class. Push Past Obstacles. Did you notice how Claire reacted when her a-dorable little bro tried to steal the spotlight? She was having none of it. She pushed him right out of the way, knowing the only way to make it in show biz is to be FRONT and CENTER.

Cheers to Claire and her bright future as a “Balleter”.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I wanted to be a balleter at one time in my life too. I like the George quote! That is too true! I think adults are also trying to live vicariously through the big dreams of children. You never hear an adult ask a 4-year old, "Oh so you want to be an astronaut? Yeah right, good luck with that."

Cameron said...

That was great fun to read, not to long, and it leaves you with something to think about. I am excited to make it one of the websites i visit frequently:)

Erin said...

I have always wondered why you haven't gone back to teaching dance. You loved it.... Just a thought.

Audra said...

love it!!!!!! i think the fact that you don't have ONE answer must mean that you must simply be a renaissance woman! and that, dear, is a BEAUTIFUL thing.

Rachael said...

Oh my gosh! So cute! What a great video!