7.07.2010

Photo Challenge - Day 06


Day 06 - A Picture that Inspires you
OK, ok, so I didn't take this picture.
But I {heart} it and the website where I found it!

Saturday I began a special brand of torture.  I started running.

I've tried to be “a runner” a couple of times in the past with very little success. (Probably because I HATE RUNNING) But since I put that pesky, "Run a Half Marathon" on my Ultimate To DO list I'm trying it again.  I figure, I'm 34 in my 30s now and not getting any younger.  It certainly will not be EASIER to run a half marathon when I'm 40 than it is today, right?  So, there's no time like the present.

I've run 3 days this week using a super cool app called C25K (Couch to 5K, cute, no?).  It's made the first stage of endurance building a lot easier because it does all the thinking and planning for me.  And Lordy knows that if I'm exerting the energy to run, I'll be damned if I'm going to think too.  No way. No how. I figure I’ll take small steps toward the big goal. I'll run a 5K first, then a 10K and if I'm not dead or bored then I'll run the half marathon to cross that sucker off the list and return to my life o'sloth.

Which brings us all up to date and begins to explain why I'm so inspired by the picture above.  Right now, every minute that I'm running is torture.  I'm hot, winded and waiting for the end to quickly come.  But, after I've finished - when I'm home and the sweat has finally stopped POURING out of every pore in my body and I'm properly re-hydrated looking back - I love running.  I love that sense of accomplishment.  I love how energized I feel.  Looking back makes me look forward to the next time I get to go out there.  This picture is the exact thing that has motivated (and will hopefully continue to motivate) me. The runner isn't this picture’s subject; the road she's already completed is the star of the show. That’s just like me! The road that I've traveled is my inspiration. The miles that I've already run make me want to run MORE. Now, I ask you, is this picture PERFECT or what?


*This fantastic photo can also be found here.  Thank you, Caity, for this inspirational shot!

Ladies and gentlemen, check out more inspirational photos over at Village.  Krystal and company are taking some great shots!  Don't miss out.