9.08.2010

Crawfish Boil

We got back from St. Louis late Monday night.  Which meant yesterday was "transition" day around here.  I've written about that before... I won't bore you with the drama AGAIN.  But, I'm pleased to report that the "transition" is completeish and I've returned to life in Chattanooga; which also includes returning to blog land!  Yay.  That being said, today's post details one of our adventures over the weekend. So, is the transition really complete? hmmmmm.  Isn't that the eternal question?

Anywhooooo, onto the adventure.
As you know (or maybe you don't...) one of the items on my Ultimate To DO list is to try 25 foods that might make others gag.  This weekend I was given the opportunity to add another yummy to the list.  While attending a family wedding shower for my cousin and her fiancĂ© I was welcomed to a huge table full of yumminess that might also be known as a "Cajun boil".  There were mounds of shrimp, potatoes, corn on the cob and CRAWFISH.  There was so much excitement surrounding the eats, I could barely contain myself.


IMG_3068
Say "hello" to my dinner

IMG_3070
The process was a little bit daunting at first...

IMG_3077
But the excitement grew as I discovered the fruit of my labor

IMG_3079
Verdict: Delicious!

For those of you curious, a crawfish is a freshwater crustacean that basically looks like a miniature lobster.  It has the same meaty consistency and picked up its flavor from the boil itself.  My uncle (our resident Cajun expert) got them from a crawfish farm in Louisiana.  They are shipped overnight and cooked in a boiling pot with tons of spicy goodness.  They definitely can't be eaten with your eyes and getting to the meat isn't for the faint of heart.  It's not a stretch for me to believe that crawfish might make OTHERS gag.  But, boy oh boy were they yummy in my tummy.