1.25.2011

AcadeMolly Award Preview

In case you missed it, earlier today the nominations for this year's Academy Awards were announced. As always, these announcements are nothing more than a giant "to do" list. As the founder and sole voting member of the AcadeMolly Awards Board of Directors (AMA BOD), each year I make it my mission to see as many of the Oscar nominated films as possible.  The AMA BOD trusts that that other Academy is capable of compiling a list of reputable and entertaining films from which AcadeMolly nominations can be compiled.  However, do not misunderstand; their nomination list is not an exhaustive list of contenders... just a place for me the AMA BOD to begin.

I'm happy to report that a big chunk of the "to do" list is "to done."  Between our Christmas holiday movie marathon and subsequent use of the 2011 popcorn bucket*, the handsome hubby and I have already knocked out 6 of the 10 films up for best picture.  Thus far we've seen: The Social Network, True Grit, The Fighter, The King's Speech, Inception & Black Swan.  That just leaves The Kids Are All Right (this one didn't get too much screen time in old Chattanooga what with the lesbian lead characters. I'm kidding. kind of), Toy Story 3 (humph, I guess I'm going to have to see it), Winter's Bone (which I JUST heard about on NPR yesterday.  It was shot in southern Missouri!!! or as Terry Gross pronounced it "MissourAH") and 127 Hours (I'm still hoping this will be screened in Chattanooga *fingers crossed*). 

I've added those that I can to the Netflix queue and the anticipation is mounting.  Check back Saturday February 26th for complete AcadeMolly Awards coverage.

Now in the meantime, how do YOU think that that other Academy did this year?
Any surprises? Disappointments?
Would you like to lobby for a particular movie in the 2011 AcadeMolly race?




*2011 Popcorn Bucket: each year our local movie theatre sells a giant bucket that can be refilled for only $2 for the remainder of the year.  Suffice it to say, we intend to do some damage with that baby in 2011.