9.23.2011

Vacation Recovery

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaave you met, Elle? In case you haven't, and I'm sure you have, but just in case... Let me introduce you to the beauty behind Elle Sees. Elle Sees is a lifestyle blog full of tips and trends that will make your life a bit more fabulous than it already is. Several weeks ago, Elle wrote this post on the topic of Vacation Recovery that was both informative and entertaining. First I said to myself, "Self, I wish you would have written that."  But then I realized that I must ask Elle if it could be used as a guest post during my upcoming vacation. Thankfully, she agreed to share because it would have been really, really awkward to swipe all her ideas and try to out "Elle" Elle.  Well, it would have been awkward and nearly impossible.

So, without further ado... I bring you said blog post.  Take it away, Elle.


If you follow me on Twitter, or read this post, you'd know that I just got back from my final summer trip. I went to West Virginia and later to the Kennywood amusement park near Pittsburgh (I'm a total scaredy cat on rides...are you?). And as we speak, er, type, I'm about to head home for the World's Cutest Nephew #2's 2nd bday, but before I leave, I need a little Vacation Recovery!

Vacation is supposed to be relaxing, but for me, that's almost never the case! I like to cram as much as I can into my vacations. But by following the tips below, I can relax once I'm back home.

PLAN AHEAD
  • Prepare posts--this is for the bloggers, of course! I had my posts, prior to this one, written and ready to go. The last thing I want to do when I get home from a 10-hour car ride is to write a post!
  • If at all possible, schedule a day at home. Instead of dashing off to work the next day, come home and have the next day off. You'll feel loads better. Promise!
  • Clean the house before you leave. It really helps to not come home to a dirty house, stinky trash, etc. I can't relax and I feel overwhelmed if I see all of the stuff that needs to get done.
  • I wash my sheets the night before. Who doesn't love clean sheets? They just feel differently (or is it just me?).
  • Unpack as soon as you get home and start laundry --I know you're tired but you'll be glad you got it out of the way.
  • If you have work the next day, having an outfit ready will be one less thing to worry about.
  • Have food ready to heat up in the freezer. A home-cooked meal is awesome when you've been traveling.
DETOX
  • Body detox time! No matter what I tell myself and how many articles I read, I don't eat the healthiest on vacation. It's vacation, dammit! I like to eat grilled chicken and veggies--something light and healthy -- when I come home.
  • Head to bed an hour earlier. When I'm really tired, I get kinda delirious, and it takes me a bit to wind down. Sometimes a Tylenol PM is in order, too.
  • No alcohol! You need your rest. See above.
  • Increase fluids--this could mean water, green tea, or whatever replenishing drink you prefer. This will also help after being cooped up in a plane/car/bus/train/steam trunk (just joking!)
  • If you have the time, have a Mini Spa --check out that post for pampering your whole body!
  • Exercise, even if it's a short walk. Thankfully I have a pup that makes sure of this one.
  • Take zinc -- I find that once I get home, I'm more likely to get sick. Why is this? Anyone know? If your Dr. allows it, take zinc to fight off colds, or take at the very first sight of one. I swear by this.
  • Breathe deeply...you made it home safely, and chances are you had a great time. Now breathe deeply and relax. Ahhhhh.
HOLD OFF ON:
  • Sorting the mail: it'll be there tomorrow.
  • Going online, if possible. This always keeps me awake. Luckily, I didn't have internet access this past trip and was able to relax because of it (so much that I took only that 1 pic above!)
  • Folding/putting away the laundry...but that's a tip I follow every time I do laundry. Ha. Just take out the clothes voted "most likely to wrinkle" and leave the rest in the hamper.
  • Cleaning the house -- see? I told you not cleaning the place beforehand would aggravate ya! Now put down the vacuum and relax.
IF YOU IGNORED ALL OF THE ABOVE:

How do you handle Vacation Recovery?


*Thank you, Elle. I promise to carefully follow each and every one of these tips when we get back home tomorrow!!!  Talk with everyone very, very soon!