7.28.2009

Sweet Success

It's no secret that I've had some unappetizing misadventures when I've tried baking in the past. Cooking is one thing, baking is something totally different. It's irked me that I've been such a failure. Even as recently as a couple weeks ago, I wasted a whole bunch of blueberries on some unfortunate blueberry muffins. Why, oh why when I love baked goods so much has it been so difficult to create something yummy?

It was a no brainer when I made my Ultimate To Do list that I add bake something successfully. I figured there would be many, many posts chronicling my misfires and botched attempts in the kitchen. But, guess what? I was wrong.

My handsome hubby was out of town for a couple of nights last week. I was bored and reading some blogs last Tuesday night after work when I came across a link to the recipe for blueberry boy bait on Lisa's blog. Inspired, I jumped up, gathered the materials and got to work. It was pretty scary, but thankfully the recipe walked me through EVERY step. And check it out...


SUCCESS!!!!!!!!

On Wednesday night I shared some with the hubby and he was impressed. That gave me the courage to take the treats to work and "go public". Bringing home a dish like this, leads me to believe that others found it as yummy as we did. Woo Hoo.
Ok, so generally I'm an optimist. But, I have to admit that I was a bit skeptical of my sudden success. After several years of utter failure, could it be possible that I actually baked something that was delicious? It almost seemed cocky to jump online and share the great news. So, I decided to try once more just to be sure before officially crossing the item off my list.

I borrowed a cast iron skillet and a copy of Bon Appetite, Y'all and attempted my first cobbler. After all, it is a quintessential summertime dessert with fresh picked peaches and blackberries. And talk about EASY! It truly was. Being the daredevil that I am, I made it to serve for dessert after a very small dinner party. But the gutsy move paid off. Topped with a little vanilla ice cream, it was delicious. It was a real crowd pleaser.

And I'm happy to report it tastes even better the second day! Which means I need to add an item to my big girl "wish list" ~ One Cast Iron Skillet, please.

Now all that's left to do is to cross "Bake Something Sweet Successfully" off the Ultimate To DO list.

Now, what to add next?

2 comments:

lisa c said...

congratulations! the blueberry muffin recipe from "screen doors and sweet tea" is SO a winner! i made mine with blackberries and it was the perfect almost-a-cupcake-muffin i was looking for. must be the entire stick of butter. whatevs, next time you want to try your new found luck at baking, you should give this one a try!

Anonymous said...

Those look great..........!!!! Congrats!!!!